Thursday, May 23, 2013

Communicating Effectively

Multimedia Program: "The Art of Effective Communication"

Having listened/read the distinctive communication in each modality (linked above) I feel that all of them seemed respectful and direct. However, on a very small level I feel that the voicemail was forgettable. I felt that it was something that I could possibly get ignored. On the face-to-face approach I felt that it might be a bit abrasive and maybe unusual. I preferred the email communication overall. I may be accustomed to receiving emails primarily and can prioritize any requests that I receive in that format much better. All in all I feel that the message was well composed and therefore suitable for all modalities. Each message was different in terms of how personable it was. Clearly the face-to face interaction was most personable but I do not feel that it improved the quality or importance of the message.  The general message of this resource is to underline the importance of communication. I learned fairly quickly that clear and concise communication is a difficult thing to accomplish and it can be very frustrating when you are on a project with someone who seems to disregard the importance of communicating well. I have learned that being direct, fast and respectful is the best way to communicate when working as part of a team.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy,

    Portny et al tell us that written communication is effective in some areas but "they don’t allow the audience to ask questions; verify receipt of the message [except email with read receipts]; PM to pick up nonverbal signals to suggest an audience’s reactions; or support interactive discussions” (2008, p. 358). For this reason, I felt that many people would gravitate to the F2F conversation, but I am so with you on the face-to-face communication. I felt it was abrasive as well but thought I would be the only one. While I found them all effective in conveying the message, I also thought the email was the most effective. I think with read receipts you can at least verify that the message was opened; then you could follow up with a phone conversation or set a time to get together to discuss. I did say F2F would probably be best but I would go about it differently than the conversation we witnessed.

    Portny, S. E., Mantel, S. J., Meredith, J. R., Shafer, S. M., Sutton, M. M., & Kramer, B. E. (2008). Project management: Planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

    ReplyDelete