Sunday, February 19, 2012

How I Learned to Learn

Before the course began I had some familiarity with learning styles. I had previously, in undergrad, been made to take self-assessment tests that helped to determine my learning styles. I had already known that I was more of a visual learner than anything else and the assessments reinforced my understanding of my own learning style. However, I was surprised to find that I also learn kinesthetically. Now that I have a deeper understanding of learning styles I see that these assessment tests can be useful beyond just being a fun classroom exercise. Once I was able to determine how I learn it was much easier to self-customize my comprehension and memorization of new topics. Knowing how helpful it was to me, I believe that this self-assessment test should be mandatory for anyone involved in a long term learning plan. One of biggest challenges in learning was recollecting information. The knowledge that I learn visually specifically helped me with memorizing data.
On the other hand, I was not as familiar with learning theories. I owe my knowledge of learning theories to this course and I have learned that there are many theories out there. Each learning theory is different but many of their elements are similar. Similar themes that I have seen in studying learning theories are a problem-solving objective, relevance of cultural/environmental influence and storing data etc. All of these the themes are important and would be useful when integrated into a learning goal. I feel that learning plans that incorporate several elements of learning theories, in accordance with the learning audience, would be the most successful.
I personally feel that connectivism was the theory that most appealed to me and suited my learning style as well as my lifestyle. I think that it puts abundantly available technology to use for educational purposes which is imperative in a technologically advancing world. It also gives students (in particular adults) the independence to customize their own learning to their needs and capabilities. It is for these reasons that I feel connectivism will be the (or one of the) most vital learning theories to be used in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment